10 things I've learned in 10 years | Birthday Post

Hey, everyone! first, let me say, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!  :) Yep, today I turned 25 years old. I am officially in my mid-20s & so excited & blessed to have made it this far. Today's post, I thought it'd be fun to think back to when I was 15 & go over some of the things I've learned over the years.

One of the main things I've learned is how important self-love is to one's growth and self-value. I didn't always love myself, especially in high 'school. I felt like I had to live up to my "perfect" sister. I thought my mom & teachers expected me to, but I was just an average student who graduated with a 3.. -whatever GPA. Plus, I felt because I'm in a wheelchair, guys didn't like me, though I was happy with the many friends I had, I wasn't content. I later realized that I didn't have to live up to anyone's expectations because I'm perfect being me. Though I still  kind of struggle with self-love, I always remind myself all the good things I have to offer the world.

The second thing I learned is probably the most important. You ever find yourself listening to the one's who bring you down the most? You know, the ones who tell you that you can't do something, or that you're worthless, you won't amount to much. Always remember, your worth is determined by you.  No one can ever tell you who you are or who to be. No one can say that you can't do something, or that you're not important. I know that we all have something to offer the world. I'm here to remind you  like I had to remind myself, you're amazing and special in your own way, you're the opposite of worthless.

Now I know we've all heard this one at one point in our lives.  I remember as a teenager hearing,be yourself and don't follow the crowd. I believe in that because following the crowd may lead you off a cliff. I watched friends of mine change in the worst way because of the people they surrounded themselves with. I've never really been the one to follow crowds, but I see people do it, and then crash and burn. Nothing is wrong with being exactly who you are. You might be surprised by how many people may like you for you.

the fourth thing that I learned, I'm still learning today! Your parents really do have your best interest at heart. I was raised by a single mom who tried her best to raise 3 girls on her own. Sometimes she could be real strict on us but other times she could be real cool. Even today, though I'm 25 and living on my own, she could be a bit overbearing, for example, I've been having problems here at my apartment with somebody knocking on my door one time and leaving, basically playing ding dong ditch.  Now, there's not a lot of kids living in my apartment building at all, so when I told my mother, she reacted in a motherly way, concerned and telling me what I shouldn't do. Even though the conversation didn't end the best way, I know that she has my best interest at heart.

Now the fifth one I know everyone needs to hear. This one definitely took all 10 years to learn, choose your friends wisely. Inevitably, friends come and friends go but do I have to let that happen as often as it does? Probably not. I've had friends take advantage of my kindness. use me and abandoned me. I've learned that when it's hard to keep certain friends interested, then the friendship is probably not worth having. I like people who can enjoy my company and I enjoy theirs. Honestly, I'm not sure if a friendship that's hard to maintain is worth having, but I do know that as long as it's not toxic, it's worth it.

Aside from your education and extra curricular's, the things you did in high school were irrelevant. When I say that, I mean cliques, popularity, feeling like a loser, being a bully. In real life that stuff doesn't matter as much as you think it might. You think your future college classmates will care that you were the most popular person in high school? Your popularity will not follow you to'a huge college campus with like 6 buildings. In real life, people don't tolerate bullies. Do something in high school that'll benefit your future.

The seventh thing I learned, I learned as soon as I moved out of my parent's house. Being an adult isn't always what it's cracked up to be. Yeah, you're free from your parent's rules but you're not free from the rules of life and the world. I had to learn a new kind of responsibility from bills to investments and other financial  responsibilities. I've learned a lot about people too, things that taught me about trust, but that's another topic for another blog post.

I've also learned that regret is an unnecessary feeling. Take a lesson away from your mistakes. Instead of regretting it, pause for a second, take the time to reflect on your mistake and figure out what you did wrong  and try not to make the same mistakes again. mistakes are inevitable. We need to make mistakes to learn, don't waste your time on regret.

You ever get mad at the fact that you're mad about something? I have and that's how I learned the ninth thing, don't hold grudges. I am very passionate about that because I wasted a  lot of time being mad at my birth father for not being there for me growing up. Because we have a great relationship now, I feel that holding a grudge was a big waste of time.

The last, most important thing I've learned is simple, be nice to people. If you don't know already, the way you treat people is a reflection of who you are. Don't let the world believe something that's not true about you. This world can use all the kindness it could get, spread love and get love back.

Well, that's all i have to offer you guys today.... Wait let me just say, I really hope this post was very informative and helpful as it is from my personal experience to yours. :)

Much Love

Comments

Popular Posts