What it's like to be a woman in a wheelchair Q&A

So it's been a minute since my last blog post.... I'm just going to be completely honest with you guys, I've been stuck. Every time I start to write something I second guess myself & delete it. I really don't understand why I started doing that, I guess because in the back of my mind I'm worried you guys won't like it or it won't be as good if not better than the last one. With some much-needed motivation from some loved ones, I decided to stick with this next idea.

Now you may or may not know by now that I'm in a wheelchair. I think that a lot of people do not understand what its like to be in one, I mean you hardly see disabled people on TV or famous on social media. Let me drop some knowledge on you. There are 318.9 million people in the U'S and only 3.3 million use wheelchairs and approximately 12% of that 33 million are women. Now I will never know what it's like to be a man in a wheelchair but I can, at least, share what its like to be a woman. I took to social media and asked people if you can ask a woman in a wheelchair anything, what would you want to know These are their questions starting with the most asked.

DISCLAIMER: My title says what it's like to be a woman.... though my answers pertain to most women, I can only speak for myself. Every case is different.



Q:.How did you get in the wheelchair?
A: Like I said in my disclaimer, I can only speak for myself. I was born with muscle dystonia and a mild case of cerebral palsy. The muscle dystonia causes my muscles to tense up which I take medication for and it makes that part of my disability pretty much non-existent because it's a muscle relaxer. The cerebral palsy causes the left side of my body (arm & leg) to be limp which is why I use the wheelchair. Some people believe people in wheelchairs have paralysis, that's a common misconception. I can feel and move my legs.



Q:  What is the biggest struggle of being handicapped?
A: Now that is a really good question. I would have to say walking.... ha ha (that was a joke) Seriously though for me I think asking for help when I need it is one definitely because I like to be independent & don't ever want to be a burden on anyone I absolutely hate that I mean, I can do most everything for myself I can live alone as long as I can reach everything I need I'm good, and also relying on social security to pay my bills and rent. I plan to go back to school because I only get by with that income and it's not the best.

Q: Is it hard being in a wheelchair?
A: It can be, especially when a place isn't wheelchair accessible & then I have to miss out on certain things that always sucks, I think the hardest thing about being in a wheelchair is dealing with people  who only see the wheelchair and not the person but in all honesty, I rarely come across those people because I have a big personality. very outgoing.

Q: Do you hate it?
A: No. It's all I know. I mean I'm not going to lie, I have my moments but I believe that I wouldn't be as nice or as humble as I am if I were able to walk. God has a purpose for me.



Q: Does being in a wheelchair stop your love life?
A: Absolutely not. lol, My love life is pretty decent... if I can choose the right guys.
Now I will say this, in high school I believe it did. though I had lots of friends teenage boys couldn't look past that. After I graduated things changed for me. Guys were noticing me for who I actually was rather than what I got around in.

Q: Sex, how do you do it?
A: I wasn't going to answer this question because it is personal and quite awkward but a lot of people ask this silly question so I will answer like this... In my case, I have full use of my legs the only thing I can't do with them is walk &  sex doesn't require walking. Just like some of you can't or don't do certain positions neither can i.

Q: In school how did your classmates and peers act towards you? How did it affect you and how does it affect you now?
A: back when I was in school for as long as I can remember everyone treated me "normal" and it made me feel like I was no different from them I always surrounded myself with good friends. I was really known & liked in school because I was nice and made people smile and laugh. College was a bit different, I felt as though some people were being "fake nice" to me. there was a time when my study group was going to the mall after our session and they totally excluded me. It hurt my feelings but I didn't get too upset because I had a boyfriend I could just spend time with. I think that if I were to be mistreated now, I would more than likely brush it off.



Q: How do you deal with day to day life? (people, getting out, housework etc/)
A: I just do. I have my ways that I've adapted to. Like things you have to use 2 hands to do, I figured out how to do them with 1. I manage.

Q: What do you like about being in a wheelchair?
A: One of the best advantages is in crowds people move when  they see me coming hahaha WIN!!!

I am not confined to my wheelchair it is but a means of transportation.

One of the most common misconceptions about people in wheelchairs is that they also have learning disabilities. Untrue, and because of that misconception when I started school they tried to place me in special education. Thanks to my mother, I've never been in special education Understand that EVERYONE'S case is different but NO ONE wants to be treated different or like they just don't belong. we're all people trying  to survive in this crazy ass world but the truth is, we all have to find ways to adapt and survive because we're all humans.... we're all equal.... aren't we?



Well, that's all i have to offer you guys today, from my PERSONAL experience to yours!
Much Love

Comments

  1. Love your blog! Enjoy reading this...guess I found my new book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy learning new things about you from your old and new writing. I truly hope you keep it up. This is my way of staying connected to you. We LUV You!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts